The name Myshall comes from the Irish word “Maigh Seal” meaning Low Plain.
Myshall is located approximately 27 km south east of Carlow town and is a small village located on the spectacular Mount Leinster heritage drive, which provides breath-taking views of Mount Leinster and the Nine Stones vantage point.
The name Myshall comes from the Irish word “Maigh Seal” meaning Low Plain. It is a historical town with many features . The imposing structure known as Myshall lodge once overshadowed the town. The lodge was once the home of local magistrate Robert Cornwall, who implemented a stringent repression regime after the 1798 uprising. It was deserted in 1915 and burned down in 1922.
Things to See & Do in Myshall
The Nine Stones
The true origin of the Nine Stones has been lost in antiquity. The stones most likely date back to pre-Christian times when nine was a mystical number that is part of a trinity of trinities. One of the theories is that it was the final resting place of nine chieftains or nine shepherds. Another theory suggests it was a place where nine rebels were killed or possibly the burial place of 1798 heroes who were killed by Yeomen returned from the battle of Newtownbarry. It was customary in the old days, when passing, to leave a small stone on the graves. There is a large car park and picnic facilities are also available.
St. Finian’s Church
Myshall is one of the villages on Carlow’s “Trail of the Saints”. St. Finian’s Church in Myshall is a pre-Norman church named after St. Finian who was born locally around 470 AD. St. Finian, an early Irish monastic saint, was a student of St. Fortchern and spent 30 years studying in Wales. He founded a monastery at Clonard, Co. Meath near the River Boyne which grew from humble beginnings to notoriety as the home of ‘the twelve apostles of Ireland’ and at its height taught three thousand pupils. St. Finian was known as “the tutor of the Saints of Ireland”.
The ruins of the old church stand in its graveyard. Only the western wall remains which houses a beautiful granite arch measuring up to six feet in height. The walls are a mixture of granite and slate. In the graveyard there is a large double bullaun which it is said to bear the imprints of the knees of a Carlow witch that slid down Mt Leinster! In the mid-17th century, the church was reduced to ruins by Cromwell’s troops.
Tobar Bhríde Holy Well
A small amenity park in the village features a holy well and is dedicated to St Brigid. Whilst there was no history of tradition for cures or pilgrimages associated with the well, a pattern was held here annually on the 14th September for over 200 years and a sheep fair also held on this day, lasted until the 1960s.
Adelaide Memorial Church & Cemetery
London businessman John Duguid built this stunning church in 1912. The interior features marble floors inspired by St. Mark’s in Venice, and windows depicting scenes of the local countryside. The church is a tribute to the deceased members of the Duguid family. It is a miniature replica of the famous Salisbury Cathedral in Wiltshire. John’s daughter Constance, who had fallen in love with a local squire, was tragically killed in a riding accident before their wedding. Her parents built a marble copy of a statue of innocence over her grave. When the statue became damaged by the Irish weather, Mr. Duguid decided to build a church as a shelter for the statue and a memorial for his wife, Adelaide.
Myshall is home to Naomh Eoin GAA club. The club was founded in 1968. The club colours are black and yellow. Naomh Eoin are a hurling and gaelic football club. In 1986 Naomh Eoin became the only club in Carlow to win the Senior Football and Senior Hurling Championship double.
The Míseal Juvenile Club has been in operation since approx. 1974.
Although only formed in October 2004, Naomh Eoin Ladies Football Club has already enjoyed considerable success in Leinster.
Myshall Camogie Club was reformed in 1977 after it had lapsed 30 years earlier.
St. Finian’s Athletics Club & Community Games was setup in 1968.
Tennis courts are located near to the Community Centre.
The village also features a Community Centre and children’s playground. Other sporting activities include walking, hiking, hang gliding, nature trails, fishing, equestrian sports, landscape painting and cycling.
Roberts Bar & Lounge is the local pub in Myshall village. It’s a friendly, family-run place that serves up a great pint and welcomes visitors from around the world with live music most weekends.
Myshall National School (Scoil Fhoirtcheirn agus Fhinin Naofa) was opened in 1955. It is a Catholic co-educational seven teacher school, comprising of five mainstream teachers, 2 SEN teachers and 3 SNAs. The Board of Management (BOM) employs a school secretary, a caretaker, a school cleaner and seasonal employees to cater for and maintain the school grounds and building.